About Me

A Charlottesville family goes to Ethiopia for three months to try to be useful to a school and a remote church, but also get some perspective on their own lives.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Benjamin's Teacher Debut

[from Benjamin]
Posted by Picasa

Today I received my schedule, and realized I had already missed three classes. I did have the chance though to teach a first and second grade class before lunch. I was surprised both times that I was alone in the classroom. Terrified at the aspect of trying to pronounce Amharic, I stuck to English. They did not. Pleading with the first graders to learn the musical alphabet, I started saying,”a,b,c…” when they took off with rounds of the entire alphabet. Because singing, even the alphabet, is musical, I sung with them desperately to regain control of the class. For the rest of the period, I would do anything to keep control, even taking their laughter at my humble attempt at “row your boat”. The second grade class was heaven however, because of their considerably greater knowledge of the English language. Modeling Julia Andrews’s example, I started with do re mi. They were fast learners and within half of an hour they were singing a song we sing at Olivet, “Open the Eyes of My Heart.”  My mom walked past the window with a tear in her eye at their angelic voices singing “holy, holy, holy.” The whole thing was exciting; I had fun.  As I walked back to the apartment, I heard them practicing their new song: “Open the eyes of my heart, Lord, open the eyes…”.  Cool.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome Ben! What a great account of your experience. I know that your smile and personality add so much to their lives, not just what you are teaching them.
    Props for singing "Open the Eyes of my Heart"! I love love love that song and it delights my heart to know that the children are learning it and singing it.
    So happy to hear this great work you are doing Ben.
    We miss you in youth group!!!

    :) Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benjamin, you are a stud.

    My children have increased their prayers for Ethiopia this past week (not by our encouragement). Sometimes I think in their minds they hear that "holy, holy, holy" you saw.

    We love these stories. Keep 'em comin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Bakers! its Hannah Bailes here. i love alllll the stories you're telling and can't wait to tell my youth group about the exciting adventures. This story reallyyyy brought on the tears. Im soooo happy you guys have this website up. All of you have inspired me to change and strengthen my relationship with the Lord. keep up the hard work. love you all. <3333

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boo,

    I am so proud of you! You are doing such an amazing job. I love reading the blog, and this story is really something. Your amazing, and I miss you and love you.



    Hope to talk to you soon,


    Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this wonderful view into your classroom. I don't think your students will soon forget that you were their teacher. :-)

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Benjamin,

    It's Mr. Reid, your old teacher. Are you trying to take my job?
    I am so proud of you and your whole family. I am honored to call you my friend and ex-student.
    I recall your helpful manner from 5th grade. The world needs more people like you, Ben.
    DR

    ReplyDelete