About Me

A Charlottesville family goes to Ethiopia for three months to try to be useful to a school and a remote church, but also get some perspective on their own lives.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Arriving


[Julie]
Tuesday morning we arrived in Addis Ababa earlier than expected. We even made it through customs with a minimal payment to the baggage handler at customs. We loaded two vans and headed to our new home. The streets were busy with cars, pedestrians, peddlers, donkeys, goats and packs of dogs. It was a veritable smorgasbord for our eyes. The constant ebb and flow of traffic, the jerk of the vans navigating through the crowds, and the stench of diesel from a bus just up ahead made my head swim. Eliza started retching in the back. I thought to myself, “What have we gotten into? I don’t know if I can do this.” I was panicking.
But then I remembered that God has promised us He will not give us more than we can bear. “God help me to bear whatever comes my way, “ I whispered.
A moment later we turned into the compound of Mekane Yesus Bethel School.  Our apartment, just completed on the third floor, seemed to be just above the fray of city life. The sun streamed into the windows and balcony where we have a stunning view of the city. We had running water, electricity and beds! More than we had expected.  


4 comments:

  1. Love the photos. The mountain of bags that everyone is perched on at the Addis airport is classic. Great to see and know you are all safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to see that you are safe and well! I am so enjoying the blog and being able to follow along in your journey xoxo Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really looks fun/exciting...especially having beds! Thanks for the posts! Hey Benjamin.....GO PACK GO!!!
    Tommy Hill

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are thrilled to be in touch with you like this and are so happy to know that all is well. We are excited to be able to follow along this journey with you... but miss you lots... All of you all are in our prayers everyday.
    Love, the Effland/Evans

    ReplyDelete