About Me

A Charlottesville family goes to Ethiopia for three months to try to be useful to a school and a remote church, but also get some perspective on their own lives.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Post from Julie...


[these are orphans in Gambella - these are not the Sisters of Mercy children Julie writes about]

The Ethiopians were celebrating the successful expulsion of the Italian Army during the 1940’s, so we enjoyed a day off of school.  Lily and I spent the morning at Mother Teresa’s home.  Last week, we painted with a group of older girls who seemed to enjoy the chance to create.  Today, we focused on the kids ages 2-4.  When we pulled the crayons from our bag, the kids went wild.  Little fights broke out over the scramble to get a piece of paper and crayon. Once we restored a bit of order, we stepped back to watch the children crowding around their 4x4 pieces of paper adding as much color as they could muster onto the paper.  There are about 30 or so kids in this age range.  And while the orphanage is an attractive facility with courtyards and clean rooms, the children are so desperate for attention that they are rather unmanageable.  They’ve had several teachers quit in exasperation.   So far, we’ve only been able to manage being there a couple of hours at a time.  Photos are prohibited at the orphanage.  I wish I could show you their beautiful faces.
The Superior chatted with us a while, explaining that she has been asked to move her ministry into the streets to address those who live challenging lives there.  She explained that her heart is drawn towards those who continue to sin mostly because they have few choices, especially prostitutes as they can’t seem to fully grasp God’s love and forgiveness. There are breakthroughs. They’d brought 14 girls back to their home just last weekend who wanted a way out of that life.  They gave them money for fares home, and a hope that God can restore all things. 
 In my classroom, I’ve been reading Time and Newsweek articles to improve my students’ English skills.  Last week, we read an article about the recent revolutions spurred on by Facebook.  It was an interesting discussion.  I asked my students to make predictions, but cautioned them not to write about Ethiopia as it may be politically insensitive to do so.  The government seems to be doing a respectable job of fostering economic opportunities.  That said, I read a essay today that said (in jest), “I think Ethiopia is next, but don’t tell anyone.  It will be our little secret!!!”

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time and energy to describe your day and the lives of the children there. We all look forward to hearing about your family and all of your experiences, the lives you have touched and all that have touched yours.

    Thanks and God bless you all. You are always in our thoughts and prayers.

    The Bollmeiers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi to the Bakers from the Fabiano's. We hope everyone is doing well. Miss seeing you all at school and church. Have been following your blog and it really is amazing what you are all doing and what an experience for everyone. Our day to day challenges seem so trivial compared to what is going on in Africa these days. However, we are busy getting our girls ready for 10th grade and middle school. Julie you will be glad to hear that they are keeping the block schedule for next year and throwing out the semesterization except for those who may want it. I think they have done a good job to meet all needs.

    Hi this is Elizabeth I made Challenge. The weather has been rainy so we haven't been playing much. Things at MLS are about the same. Fifth grade had their first SOL in Writing. I placed second in MLS's spelling bee. Ann Pappas placed first. A student at Henley placed first for the county. I've been sick for the past few days so I haven't been in school for four days. I'll go again on Monday.

    hey guys! This is Eleanor and I just wanted to say hi and hope that you guys are all well. Whenever I go to church or youth group, I miss sophie and lily. Don't worry benjamin and eliza, I miss you guys too! Benjamin, I heard about you and your class. I hope you are teaching the kids well. I really hope you all are well and I cannot wait until you guys get back! miss you!

    We all hope that you are keeping yourselves safe and healthy.

    Phil, Olwen, Eleanor and Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete