About Me

A Charlottesville family goes to Ethiopia for three months to try to be useful to a school and a remote church, but also get some perspective on their own lives.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sophie's Trip to Zambia

[Sophie and I went to Zambia last week - here are her notes, and  then a lot of pictures.  The next three weeks are crazy for us - Hopefully, everything will come together for Olivet's projects in Gambella - more later.]


Zambia - by Sophie

My father and I went to go visit The Nelson’s in Zambia last week. It was a short and fun three days. I have known the Nelson family since I was eight years old. I am drawn towards their children. They have three kids who have Down syndrome. When I go to college I want to learn special education because the nelsons have done so much with helping people with special needs. I have learned so much from them that I want special education to be my major in college. Zambia was very different from Addis. Zambia was very green and not polluted. Many people In Zambia are very dark skinned. I had a very good time with my dad and the nelson family. I had the best sleep of my whole time being in Africa. I really like that Ms. Nelson can cook. My mom can cook but not like Ms. Nelson. It’s funny that both families are living in Africa.

Zambian women using discarded plastic bags to make baskets, wine holders, hats, shoes and bags.

Zambian children doing flips during recess


Lily and Sophie feeding some monkeys....

Julie and her flock

No comments:

Post a Comment